Friday, September 4, 2009

Roasted Veggies


I spent most of the day looking for "recipes" for roasting vegetables. Then in dawned on me that it's really a method, not a recipe.  So, this is what I came up with:

*Preheat oven to 450 - 475
*Wash and prep veggies of your choice (I used broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and red & orange sweet peppers)
*Place veggies on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet
*Spritz with oil (I used canola, but any oil will do), season with salt, pepper, and any herbs you like (I used Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb)
*Toss veggies on the cookie sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes. Give the veggies a toss and place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until they're like you like them
**I did find that I needed to place the peppers under the broiler to char the skin. I placed them in a sealed container and let steam for about 10 minutes. The skin peels right off after that. They taste so much better than the jarred stuff (I don't have any problem with jarred red peppers. I keep them on hand).

The picture above is what's left of the veggies. They were so good, my 10 year old daughter and I couldn't stop eating them (she mainly went for the carrots). YUM!!!

Nutritional info will vary depending on the veggies you use and how much oil you use. As long as you keep the oil to a minimum this is a very safe and healthy way to eat. I look at veggies as "free food". Nobody ever got fat from eating too much broccoli!!

After poking around some blogs, I did discover *this* recipe. Scroll down to  "Calabacitas". This is an excellent blog and an example of where I'd like to be in about a year (not weight wise, that will take much longer).

No comments: