Saturday, September 5, 2009

What I've Learned This Week....so far

This journey, as with any journey, is not solely about the final destination. It's partly about learning from the mistakes you make on your way to the final destination...right? This is what I've learned this week, so far....
  • Trying to “wing it” really doesn’t work. I need to have my menu for the week planned out with the food already prepped and ready to go.
An example of this happened Wednesday night. I was so incredibly sore from exercise that I could hardly move. My son made dinner for the kids, but it was kid food, hot dogs and shells and cheese. It didn’t bother me much because they’d been doing well with their eating and it really helped me out. However, I got very hungry. Of course, I grabbed the quickest thing I could. Hot dogs! Not one, but two hot dogs (not low fat either) and took several bites of the shells and cheese. If I had something prepped and ready, I would have chosen that instead. *Lesson learned!
  • Exercise. Ahhh, good ‘ole exercise! I am the rare person that does really enjoy exercising, once I actually get up and do it. I used to do step aerobics (back in the day) and run at 4.5 or more for 45 minutes to an hour. I also used to strength train (not a fav). This week I learned that it is not possible, even idiotic, to think you can pick up anywhere near where you left off several years ago. I thought I modified my “training” appropriately, but that was not the case. Monday, I did 27 minutes on the treadmill followed by upper body and core (abs) work. Tuesday, I did 28 minutes on the treadmill (went .25 miles further) followed by lower body work (wall squats with ball, lying adduction and abduction work…fancy name for inner thigh and out thigh leg lifts). Wednesday I was in so much pain, as previously mentioned, I could hardly move. I went to bed early that night and slept for 14 hours! Friday was the first day that I could move without saying “OUCH”. So, I’ll be taking it a bit easier on the exercise this coming week. I’m not doing myself any favors by working out really hard 2 days of the week and not being able to work out the rest of the week. Patience, which I do not possess much of, needs to be used. >Phooey!!<----this is me, pouting

1 comment:

The Four Week Vegan said...

I have to have a menu all planned out or we would eat junk all the time. That goes for whether or not I am trying to lose weight. I'm justnot creative enough to think of something on the fly.